Friday, May 11, 2012

BLOG 8- 18 SHOULD BE THE NEW 21

  After reading my collegues, Lee Mitchell's article "Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered?" I have strongly agree with the argument about lowering the drinking age to age 18. I have agreed and I am of age to drink. If an 18 year old male or female has the consent to vote, to enlist in the army, obtain an driver license, and the rights to marriage. All of those things can be very life changing and at the same time very dangerous. Oh and lets not forget that the smoking age is 18 and older, is smoking not considered dangerous, influential to us and others around us? In his argument he talks about all the things that an 18 year can do and some are risky, while others require a choice that could possibly change this nation. Many see drinking as an instant killer but don't consider that smoking can be an instant killer, that fighting for our country can be an instant killer, and getting behind the wheel of a motorize vehicle can be an instant killer. But in the end these are all considered privileges we are given when we once turn 18 years old.

 Mr. Mitchell's argument did become clearer that the drinking age should be lowered. 18 is the age you graduate(adveragly), 18 is the age that you realize you can work and strive in this world as a young adult. Drinking will not harm an 18 year old. The drinking age should be 18 because they wouldn't have to sneak and drink it; or rush to finish it(because we all know bottoms up really means bottoms up). But in all seriousness age 18 should be treated more seriously, when I was 18 i felt like an adult, I said I was an adult but many would tell me if you can't drink legally your not. Funny thing though at age 18 I was carrying myself more mature, working a lot of hours, bought a car, going to school full time, and helping my family maintain. . .doing a lot better and more than adult twice that age.

 So age 18 to me should be considered an legalized 21, it should be the new 21. Each generation mature quicker and can hold their own. But if the Government continues to hold them back at this rate some may not make to that "legalized age". 18 SHOULD BE THE NEW 21

No comments:

Post a Comment